International Dentist Program
This program affords a dentist who received a dental degree from outside the United States to matriculate in the third year of the pre-doctoral dental program, after calibration and competency assessment. The candidate joins the third year dental students (D3) and completes a degree within two years at HUCD. To be considered for admission to HUCD the applicant must have successfully completed the National Dental Boards Exams Parts I and II. All applications and credentials will be evaluated by the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (CAAPID) and must be submitted by November 1st of the anticipated year of admission. ADEA CAAPID is a centralized application service devoted to supporting dental schools that offer advanced standing programs for applicants with dental degrees earned outside the US and Canada. The application will be operated similarly to the current AADSAS and PASS application.
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- Applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the TOEFL, with a total score of 100 or more to be considered.
- Must submit original TOEFL score report directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) only if scheduled for interview.
- Only computer based TOEFL scores are accepted (no paper based.)
National Board Dental Examination Requirements
- Program requires passage of NBDE Parts I and II and prefers that passage be within the last 5 years to be considered for admission.
- Submit official National Board Dental Scores to program directly from ADA (not to ADEA CAAPID) only if scheduled for interview.
- NEDB Part I and II must be completed, scored and passed prior to deadline.
Letter of Evaluation
- Program requires three Letters of Evaluation
- Program prefers one Letter of Evaluation to come from dean of dental school from which applicant graduated.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Program requires three Letters of Evaluation (to ADEA CAAPID)
- Program prefers one Letter of Evaluation to come from Dean of dental school from which applicant graduated.
- Send Supplemental Application Fee to program (not to ADEA CAAPID). An application is considered complete only if the fee is paid.
Non-Refundable $200.00 Supplemental Application Fee mailed to contact address given above. Make certified funds Cashier’s Checks/or Money Orders Payable to: Howard University College of Dentistry. (Include your ADEA CAAPID ID#: First Name and Last Name on the check or money order.) (DO NOT SEND CASH.)( NO PERSONAL CHECKS.)
Other documents that should be sent directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID), only if requested
- Only documents on the CAAPID website will be reviewed (unless specifically requested at interview).
- Supplemental application material may be requested after review of your ADEA CAAPID application.
- Send 2x2 color photograph to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) after being contacted by program for a scheduled interview. Print your name and ADEA CAAPID number on the back of the photo.
- Communication by email is preferred over telephone. (Add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts to insure delivery of all email correspondence.)
- Only applications that are complete, meet the deadline, and meet the requirements will be reviewed and considered for admission.
Length of Program: 24 months
Program Deadline: November 1, 2014
Start Date: May 15
Class Size: up to 10
Degree Awarded: DDS
Dr. Esther L. B. Childers
Howard University College of Dentistry
600 W Street NW Room 128
Washington, DC 20059
Tel: 202 806-0349