Advanced College Summer Enrichment Program May 19 - June 20, 2014
The Center of Excellence (COE) program, funded through the Department of Health and Human Services, was established to assist designated health profession schools and other public and non-profit, or educational institutions strengthen the national capacity to produce a culturally competent healthcare workforce, whose diversity is representative of the U.S. population.
The Center of Excellence Advanced College Summer Enrichment Program (ACSEP) is one of the many support programs offered through the COE to facilitate entry to the Doctor of Pharmacy Program at Howard University. ACSEP is a five- week summer enrichment program for undergraduate level students who have completed at least 30 semester credits in college or university by May 19, 2014. Twelve (12) Undergraduate students who demonstrate an interest in pharmacy as a career will be selected. The COE ACSEP selection process is competitive. In addition to demonstrated leadership skills, students must also have a high aptitude for science/mathematics and technology. Preference will be given to students who reside in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area. The COE ACSEP is a five day academic schedule that exposes students to the pre-requisite classes that are required for a major in pharmacy or other health professions. The curriculum focuses on science related material and includes classes in Anatomy/Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, English/Medical Terminology, Calculus, and Research Exposure in a laboratory science setting. Students will be in classes Monday-Thursday from 8:30 am to 4:30pm and on Fridays in their Laboratory Sites between 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- To encourage young under-represented minority students to pursue careers in Pharmacy or other health professions.
- To provide an opportunity for young under-represented minority students to develop mentoring relationships with current minority health professionals and graduate health professional students.
- To facilitate entry to the Doctor of Pharmacy Program
The application and supporting materials must be postmarked or electronically submitted no later than February 21, 2014 (a current unofficial transcript needs to be submitted with the application). Competitive applicants with complete application materials will be contacted for a face-to-face/SKYPE interview scheduled to be conducted March 31-April 4, 2014. All applicants will be notified of their decision status by April 18, 2014. Applicants must reply within five (5) business days of notification. Final official college transcripts should be received by May 19, 2014 for accepted students.
ELIGIBILITY & SELECTION CRITERIA:
Participants will be selected based on their eligibility and merit of their application (GPA, letters of recommendation, and their demonstrated interest in pharmacy). Participant requirements include:
Undergraduate students who have completed at least 30 semester credits in a college or university,by May 19, 2014.
- Student must be in a pre-pharmacy or biology/chemistry major.
- Students must have taken and passed two courses in college English with a C or better.
- Students must have taken and passed a college level biology or chemistry and a mathematics course with a C or better.
- Students must have a cumulative 2.75 Grade Point Average.
- Students who are underrepresented minorities and/or financially disadvantaged will be given priority.
- Preference will be given to students who reside in Washington, DC, Maryland or Virginia.
- A favorable interview with COE personnel is required for all competitive applicants with a complete application.
Students will be provided a stipend at the completion of the program to offset living expenses for the five-week period.
Housing is NOT provided for this program. It is the responsibility of student participants to secure and finance their own housing arrangements.
A complete COE ACSEP Application.
- A typed 250 word essay demonstrating an interest in pharmacy or other health professions and describing how attending this summer enrichment program will be beneficial to you in your future career path in the health professions.
- Two favorable recommendations [on College Letterhead]
- Students must submit a current unofficial transcript to the Center of Excellence prior to the February 21, 2014 application deadline.
MINIMUM STANDARDS OF PARTICIPATION:
• Documented acceptance to the COE Advanced College Summer Enrichment Program.
• Final official transcripts must be submitted no later than May 19, 2014.
Submit supporting materials listed above to:
Howard University, College of Pharmacy
Attention: Mr. Alex Adams
Center of Excellence, Faculty Annex III, Room 116
2300 4th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20059
(202) 806-4212 Main
(202) 238-8538 Fax