The Department of Pediatrics and Child Health is dedicated to training, research and service endeavors that promote healthcare, improve the quality of life and optimize the developmental potential of all children with particular attention to ethnic minorities and the prevention and treatment of diseases prevalent in those populations.
The Department of Pediatrics and Child Health of Howard University Hospital cares for every child and accepts most types of insurance. Call 202-865-4700 for more information about your insurance coverage. Cash, Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are also accepted as forms of payment.
Approved Insurance Carries:
- Medicare: Howard University Hospital is a participating provider for Medicare. Present your Medicare card, as well as your supplemental insurance cards, upon admission. You will be responsible for any Medicare deductibles, co-payments and services not covered by Medicare and your supplemental insurance.
- Commercial Insurance: If a commercial carrier insures you, please bring your insurance card with you to the Admissions Office. If your insurance company requires a claim form, please bring a completed form with you. Most commercial insurance carriers require pre-certification, pre-authorization and/or a second surgical opinion.
- Medicaid and Medicaid Managed Care: If you receive City or have State Welfare, or Medicaid Managed Care, please bring your current identification card to the Admissions Office. Pre-authorization is needed for elective admissions or elective outpatient services
- Carefirst Blue Cross / Blue Shield: If you are insured by Blue Cross/Blue Shield, please bring your current insurance card with you in order to provide your individual membership identification number to the Admissions Office. All Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance coverage verification is only an estimate of available coverage and is subject to final review and approval by Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Most Blue Cross/Blue Shield policies require pre-certification and pre-authorization prior to admission. Please be sure to fulfill this requirement before you are admitted to the hospital.
- Health Maintenance Organizations: If you are covered by an HMO, please bring your insurance card to the Admissions Office to provide the hospital with your membership number. Most HMOs require a referral from your primary physician. All HMOs require pre-certification and pre-authorization before admission.
- Workers' Compensation: Workers' Compensation cases are covered when approved by the employer or the employer's insurance carrier. In liability cases, you are responsible to the hospital for prompt payment of your bills and are expected to seek reimbursement from the liability insurance carrier.
If your insurance plan is not listed below, please call 202-865-4700, For Alliance Insurance Carriers, please call 202-865-3078.
Pediatric Service Locations
- Pediatric Emergency Care Area
- Pediatric Clinic Outpatient Services
- WIC Family Center Services
- National Breastfeeding Support Center
- Child Development and Evaluation Services
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (3 South) (nursery)
- Newborn Care and Services (3 South) (nursery)
- Pediatric Primary Care Office (Suite 3300)
- BLESS Lactation Services
- HUH CARES Family Centered HIV Services
- Project ROSE Early Childhood Services/Child Find
- Infant, Children and Adolescent Inpatient Unit (6 North)