The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation is responsible for identifying and addressing the comprehensive rehabilitation needs of patients with disability and compromised function in the hospital and community. The department interfaces with all disciplines of medicine and adds another dimension of care, focusing on functional abilities and quality of life.
All patients are under the care of a rehab attending physician. Rehabilitation care is individualized and provided by an interdisciplinary team of board-certified physiatrists, who are the physical, occupational and speech therapists.
1) Mechanisms of Neural Plasticity and Recovery in body-weight supported treadmill training after spinal cord injury
2) Use of adjunctive techniques including electrical stimulation to facilitate penile vibratory stimulation for ejaculation after SCI
3) Microdialysis and wound biopsy to characterize pressure ulcer inflammatory status
1) Mechanisms of Neural Plasticity and Recovery in BWSTT after SCI. Two-year study funded by the VA rehab research and development
2) VA CSP #535 Anabolic steroid therapy on pressure ulcer healing in persons with spinal cord injury, Site Investigator, 2003-present
3) SCI-VIP, A spinal cord injury vocational support program and outcomes, funded by VA Rehab RandD, Co-PI, 2005-present.